Thursday, August 6, 2009

Exploring the Gold Coast and Croc Hunting with the Princesses






The Dorkanese Phrase of the Day: "Why don't I...place this on your table?": 1. Adapted from the Terminex commercial (in which a giant bug brings pizza to the door trying to gain entry into a house), meaning "I'm ordering us a pizza."

Yesterday I had Trina, Gregg, Raven and Amber over to my Dad's for a pool party. Amber is 6 now, so Trina lets her dress herself. I remember being that age and thinking of getting dressed as more of "What do I want to be today?" rather than covering my nudity in fabric. You'll note from the picture that on this particular day, Amber was wearing a prom/figure skater dress, so I asked her if she knew we were going swimming and not ice skating and she looked up at me and said "I brought my swimsuit."
We went swimming and I introduced the kids to a make-believe game that my friend Vivan and I used to play in the pool when we were kids. It was called "The Guided Tour" and it involves one person getting in the inner tube while the other one drags them around the pool and pretends to give them a tour of some famous body of water, complete with "rapids" and "water animals". Vivan and I used to use the inflattable croc and inflattable Shamu my parents bought us, but in this instance, whoever wasn't in the inner tube (only Amber would fit in it) and whoever wasn't being the tour guide (I do the voices, I pick the body of water, hence I am always the tour guide) played the part of the "animals" attacking our "boat." While exploring the Gold Coast off the shores of Southern Austrailia (I was doing my very best Steve Irvin impression as Tour Guide) I got attacked by killer jellyfish (3, to be precise) and Amber had to save herself. When I did a tour of the sea floor off the coast of France (doing my very best Jacque Cousteau, you know "Here zee ocean iz teaming wiss life", that sort of thing) Raven recognized the accent from when I used to do this same bit with her bath toys when she was small. She's 12 now. They get big too fast!
After the pool we enjoyed Petrillo's Pizza and watched Shrek the 3rd. Then, as is the custom when the girls come over to my Dad's (whether he is home or not) the "Princesses" got to enjoy ice cream out of the "Special Princess Glasses" (which are really just hand-blown colored wine glasses from Romania.) My Dad started this when Raven was little and carried it over to Amber the first time she came over. He really adores them both. Kinda gives you a window into how good I had it as a kid, huh? Yep. And I'm still a Princess, at least to him anyway.
After a fun afternoon of sweets and swimming, we went croc hunting. Literally. We went hunting for Crocs. There is supposed to be a store in Fontana off of Sierra, but its not there anymore, so we ventured into a store none of us had been to yet: Bass Pro Shop "Outdoor World". Dude. Seriously. And I'm not a hunter or a fisherman or much of a camper anymore, but DUDE! That place is awesome. Lots of fun stuff to play with and look at. Kinda makes you want to go camping just so you can go in there and shop. They did have the Crocs I wanted (yes, they make Crocs now that I will wear, that look like regular shoes) but they were $40. Maybe in a week when I get my next check I will go back for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment