Monday, April 26, 2010

Sometimes eating your words tastes like soap

For the last 13 years, I've been a Stepmommy. Not just any Stepmommy. My official title is "Stepmommy, Guardian of the Universe." Even divorcing my ex husband couldn't strip me of that, according to my Stepdaughter. She gave me the title and only she can take it away.
Normally, I am a very proud Stepmommy, even though I am not perfect. Throughout the years, growing up around me, Raven has picked up some of my mannerisms and she shares some of my tastes in music, the arts and food. I have tried to be a good influence on her. I do not always succeed.
I have tried to curb my swearing around Raven all of her life. When she was little, I trained her to smack my hand if she ever heard me cuss. Even though I know her friends swear, she has always been really careful about not swearing, or at least around us.
Today, we were watching TV and there was this woman on there swinging a bat around, doing a gag, pretending to try to hit things that were flying at her. Then Raven, my Sprout, my Little, my Honor Student, busts out with this little gem of an observation:
"That woman swings like a pu$$y."
I'm not sure what I just heard, so I ask her "What did you say?"
She repeats herself, "That woman swings like a pu$$y."
This time, Trina hears it too.
In disbelief, we tell her that she does not use that word, that its a cuss word and to go get the soap. We explain that using that word is like using the word "d*ck" and that neither are appropriate. We can't believe we have to tell her this at 13 years old.
Then, as she is getting the soap, I tell her to bring it out to the living room and give me some too. Irregardless of where she first heard it or how she got the idea that it was OK to use, I know that at some point in her life she has probably heard me say it. I'm ashamed of being a bad example, but I also don't want to be a hypocrite. So I also take a squirt of Dial Anti-Bacterial Foaming Hand Soap and sit with it as long as I can possibly stand it then spit it out and tell Raven she can spit hers out too. The stuff tastes awful.
I'm disappointed in myself moreso than her. I own this too. I suppose it could be worse, but now I know I need to try harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment